Sunday, March 6, 2011

82nd Post Monday Feb 28 - Sunday Mar 6, 2009

Monday and the beginning of another wonderful week in the Texas Houston Mission. We left the office late morning as I had an appointment with the dermatologist at MD Anderson. He took a "core sample" from a small bump on my chest and froze 4 spots on my face. The core sample required 2 stitches. All went well except for the two hour wait. By the time we got back to the office the day was about gone. We enjoyed FHE at the Stringfellow's apartment this evening. We watched an LDS therapist talk about the Book of Mormon. We enjoy our association with the other senior missionaries.

Tuesday I started another round of apartment inspections - most looked good. Leona had her computer "upgraded" so she had fun getting things back to normal (what ever normal is). Sisters Donkin and Rodriguez came to dinner this evening. What good missionaries they are, just a real inspiration to be around. Sister Rodriguez is from Guatemala (lived in the USA for a few years) and Sister Donkin is from the Portland area. Her family has a "vacation home" in Sea Side. The weather was very cool this morning, but nice and warm by afternoon.

Wednesday I drove to Conroe, Huntsville, Montgomery, and the Woodlands doing apartment inspections. There was one apartment that was a real mess but the others were in good shape. I have several pending apartment moves this month, plus I start my next round of BCG treatments so I spent time trying to get the missionaries, the apartments managers, and my schedule all on the same page. The church computer system (iMOS) was down again today, so Leona went back to the office this evening, while I ran to the post office. David called and said his phone interview with Notre Dame grad school went well.
Thursday was another long distance driving day for me, about 230 miles. I went up to College Station, Brenham, and Waller inspecting apartments. This trip is always interesting as the country side is full of large ranches and farms. The trip started out foggy but cleared up by mid morning.

Friday we had our normal office staff meeting. It is always a blessing to meet with the Hansens. They are such good people. I inspected apartments closer to home today. Later in the morning Pres. Hansen called and asked me to look for apartments in the Bryan/College Station area for a senior couple. We just got word that we will be getting another proselyting couple at the end of the month. I did some checking online and made some phone calls to see what might be available, besides the apartments where we have young missionaries. I called the Buckways (from the Odgen area) this evening. They sound like great folks. We had Sisters Bullock and Porter over for dinner this evening. They are so enthusiastic and into their missionary work - fun to be around them.

Saturday we went into the office for a few hours to catch up on things. I got a call late last night that the sisters at the Oaks of Wimbledon had received an eviction notice for not paying rent. Even though Leona gets all the info to SLC early, some times the checks just get lost in the mail. Anyway we worked on that and several other "bill" issues.
We got most of our p-day work done and then went to the Texas Roadhouse for a late lunch; it seemed a very short day today. The weather remains cool.
I got a call this evening from some elders who got their car towed. Elder Stringfellow was out of town and not available so I called him to make sure I had all the paper work, the cash $207!! and then arranged with the elders to meet them at the "junk yard". It all worked out in the end but it took some effort. I suppose I should get hearing aids or something. When the elder called he said it was Elder Parker, I thought he said Barker (we have both). I told him I would call back after I talked to Elder Stringfellow to make sure I could get the car out of impound. To complicate things more, the elders were on exchanges, so I call Elder Barker's number and there is no answer, of course I had told Elder "Barker" to stay close to his phone so we could get things handled. Well I called several times and left messages of increasing urgency (the impound place would close and the cost goes up $30 after midnight - of course the elders are responsible for all parking and traffic fines). I even thought to call the other elders they had exchanged with and left them an urgent message. Well after 45 minutes Elder Barker calls me back and I start in on the poor guy - "where have you been? - why did you not stay by the phone? - do you want your car back or not?......" He said "has our car been towed"?? I could not believe it - Elder didn't you call and tell me your car was towed - to which he replied "no". Oh my - now what?? We finally figured it was Elder Parker who called not Barker. So I called Elder Parker and he picks right up and we made arrangements to meet and get his car. Later in the evening I get a call from Elder Lindsey ( he was involved with the exchange with the other elders). "Elder Walker I got your message - our car has been towed??" He was all concerned needless to say. Anyway I reminded all concerned that they were dealing with a hearing impaired senior missionary so please relax as all is now well in the car kingdom. Boy what a night.
We got up this morning and took bread and cheerios for the ducks at the pond here in the apartment complex. The swan is pretty much the boss when she gets around the rest of the ducks. They stay out of her way, if not they will loose a few tail feathers! Lots of sunshine and cool enough for a sweater with low humidity - perfect weather today!
Fast and Testimony meeting was very good, lots of humble testimonies shared. We have enjoyed a wonderful Sabbath Day and we are ready to begin a new week. We hope that you each have a good and safe week. We love you and so thankful for you. Take care.
Love,
Dad and Mom

1 comment:

Diane said...

Uncle Steven,

That was really funny! We read your posts on Sunday night with the family. This got everyone laughing. I am not sure I should admit we were laughing at your expense...but it was quite humorous! We are in "the range" where hearing loss (ahem) is something with which we can both laugh and sympathize! We send our love from our Dixie!

Darin and Diane and Family