Sunday, March 13, 2011

83rd Post Monday Mar 7 - Sunday March 13, 2011

Mondays are always "busy" as there are lots of missionaries who come in the office on their P-day to use the computers, check the mail, or to just "check in". We did get to the office early so Leona could get a check ready for an apartment that never received their check from SLC. We also went to WalMart to get cleaning supplies and to the post office.
The senior's FHE was at the mission home. We enjoy having FHE with the Hansens once a month. Sister Young had the lesson which was a video about the tabernacle of ancient Israel. It was very interesting. We enjoyed our evening together and the wonderful refreshments that Leona provided. Another wonderful day in the mission field.

Tuesday I hit the road again to inspect apartments. I drove out to Sealy, and the Katy area. The apartments looked good.
Leona goes over to the bishop's storehouse on Tuesdays right after work to see if they need her help. This evening they did. I went home changed, grabbed something to eat and then went back to the storehouse. We stayed until about 7:30 filling orders and stocking shelves. Every "Deseret" item I handled I thought what a great program the Lord has for helping all His children. We are so blessed to be in His church.

(Leona speaking) Wednesday, I am thankful for the gospel and the blessing of serving a mission with my wonderful eternal companion. Always plenty to do each day and the hours pass by so quickly. There was a missionary leadership training meeting at the Hafer building so when it was over there were lots of missionaries in the office checking mail and getting supplies, it was good to see each one.
We learned that we have a missionary going home in a couple days. He is having some emotional/mental health problems bless his heart; he is such a fine elder wanting to share the gospel with everyone. Our prayers are with him.
Paul and Marsha Johnson, members of the Olde Oaks Ward, invited us and the Stringfellows to dinner this evening. They are moving to Spanish Fork, Utah the end of the month and will be greatly missed. They have been so good to us. Dinner was delicious - chicken, green beans, potatoes, tossed salad and ice cream and Mississippi mud cake, yum yum! We had a very nice visit after dinner, Brother Johnson is a retired Shell oil man so he and Steven always have lots to talk about. Sister Johnson told how her mother joined the church in a little branch (she said it was more like a "twig") in Louisiana and then her father joined about 1 1/2 years later. She was nine years old at the time. She served a mission to Canada and Brother Johnson served in Australia. A great couple, we will miss them.

Thursday, we were up early did not exercise because Steven needed to be at MD Anderson at 7:45 a.m. We left the apartment at 6:30am and made our way into Houston along with everyone else in Texas it seemed! Traffic was heavy even on the Hardy Toll Road but we arrived on time. He got his lab work done quickly but his appointment with Dr. Grosman (urologist) was a long wait being moved from room to room (they do that to make you think that you are not waiting). They did the cystoscopy (TV camera look around his bladder) and it looked good - all is well, we are so thankful. After more waiting time they did the first BCG treatment and we arrived home about 2pm. After Steven got settled and resting I went to the mission office for a couple of hours. We are thankful for the medical help that Steven has received. These treatments are not pleasant, he has a lot of pain afterwards and just feeling sick - kind of like the flu and sometimes he has a fever. He never complains and tries to be upbeat, I am so thankful for him and love him with all my heart.

Friday, Steven had an OK night, he is up more than he is down. He needs to drink lots of fluids to flush his system. I left to go to the mission office at 7:30am. We did not have staff meeting as President and Sister Hansen needed to be in Huntsville early this morning. Steven called later in the morning and said to come get him at 1pm he wanted to come to the office for a couple hours. When I returned home he was dressed but looking pretty pale. I could tell he did not feel so good so WE decided that it would be better if he just stayed home.
We had a quiet evening, walked to the pond to feed the ducks - they are always starving! The swan is mean and bites the ducks; if the water was clean and I could swim I think I might jump in and wring her/his neck! I guess I won't.

Saturday, Steven is feeling better today and since he was I put him to work vacuuming and cleaning the apartment! He washed the car at the mission office and we spent some time going through papers, etc. that always seem to gather on the counter and table. We went to a Mexican place for a late lunch and stopped to get a few items at the grocery store on our way home.

Sunday we enjoyed our meetings. You all know this but it is so much better when you really concentrate on the words of the sacrament prayer and what they mean for us. I am so thankful I am a member of the Lord's church and for the many blessings we enjoy.
Another great week to enjoy our time in the Texas Houston Mission.
We love you all,
Dad and Mom

No comments: