Sunday, April 18, 2010

36th Post Mon April 12 - Sunday April 18, 2010

Monday and David and Raquel left early for Idaho. It was fun to have them visit with us. The mission office is sure busy on Monday's - lots of missionaries come in on their P-day. I got an appointment with the ophthalmologist this afternoon. He checked my eyes good and told me I "would live". He took me off the drops I got at the emergency room and put me on just regular eye drops. He said my eyes would begin to feel better and the redness would be gone in a couple of weeks. The weather remains really nice, not so humid or hot.

Tuesday we went into the office early so Leona could get some paper work done, and I needed to pick up a check for the new apartment we are moving elders into today. Went by a members home with a couple of missionaries to pick up a sofa. I then drove to Magnolia (about 45-60 minutes away). We have a 4 man apartment there and we are moving one set of elders to Tomball. They were about all ready, good thing I took some empty boxes with me. Anyway we got all loaded up and drove down to the new apartment in Tomball. I signed the lease and picked up the keys, etc. Went to the apartment and NO electricity. This is the only apartment complex I have dealt with where the electricity is completely turned off to the apartment. Anyway I had contacted the electrical company the day before, but when the power is completely off it takes 3 to 5 business days to get it restored. I was not a happy camper, but we moved the elders food stuff into the other elders apartment in the same complex and finished moving in. I called our contact at the electrical company and explained the situation to him and he said for an extra FEE they could do an emergency power on within 24 hours. I told him to go ahead but it must be done before night fall. I took the elders to lunch and by the time we got back the power was on. What a day. Davud called this evening and they have safely arrived in Rexburg and will move into their apartment tomorrow.

Wednesday, after prayer meeting I headed to Katy to move the Sisters from a members home to a brand new apartment complex. The sisters were all boxed up ready to go and the apartment cleaned. They had arranged for two sets of Elders and another set of Sisters to help move. With all that help the move went quick. The new apartment manager was excited to meet the Sisters and asked if we had other missionaries we could move in. Well the other set of Sisters were standing there and said they would like to move but their lease was not due until end of August. It was fun to watch the 4 sister missionaries "deciding" where to set up the beds, the sofa, the book cases, the desks, etc. The elders were holding stuff while the sisters made up their minds - I just told the elder to get use to it!! It is a real blessing to work with such good, faithful young missionaries.

I took work clothes with me today and after our prayer meeting I changed and went to work in our garage at the mission office. It is where we store furniture and other stuff for the missionaries. The garage has not been cleaned out since I do not know when. It was a real mess and you could not get around to get stuff out when needed. Anyway, I worked all day and still more to do. There were 3 "broken" vacuums in the garage that I worked on. I got 2 working after cleaning the filters which were plugged solid and I mean solid. The other vacuum was plugged solid as well but the belt was broken - no wonder. The long hair was wrapped around the "beater bar" so thick that you could only see the very ends of the bristles. They were not vacuuming the carpets they were polishing them with a "hair roller". You got to love the missionaries. We walked around the pond at the apartment complex this evening and watched the baby ducks, turtles all over the place and fish swimming near the surface. A beautiful evening.

After our Friday staff meeting with the Mission President and his wife I went back to work in the garage. Just about got it all organized so we can walk in there and actually find what we are looking for. The Seniors all left a bit early today as we went out to eat to celebrate Sister Young's birthday. Leona had purchased ice cream sandwiches, so every time elders came into the office today we all sang happy birthday and gave the elders ice cream (that helps with their singing). After dinner the Seniors all came back to our place for ice cream and cake. We really had a nice time and enjoy visiting together.

Saturday morning Leona dropped me off at the office to finished the garaged job and she went shopping for a few things for the BBQ this evening. Sister Lish planned to have all the elders in the area of the mission office come to our apartment complex for dinner. There is an area with picnic tables so we have a nice spot to eat. I used Sister Lish's gas grill and we did burgers and hot dog, lots of salads, fresh fruit, soda, chips, and all the fixin's. The 12 elders sure enjoyed the dinner and it was fun to have them. After they all left and the Seniors were cleaning up one set of elders came back and said they were sorry they did not stay to help clean up but came back to help - bless their hearts - their Mothers have taught them well.

Sunday morning it rained, but still a great day in the mission field. We enjoyed church today. It is always good to partake of the sacrament and be reminded of what the Savior did for each of us. We talked to all the kids this week end. With modern inventions we were able to see little Brayden in action - jumping continually on Aunt Christine's lap and sweet Renae sleeping in her mother's arms. We are thankful for each one of you and for the wonderful grandchildren you are raising. Congratulations to Christopher for being selected as an academic scholar and being able to participate for three weeks in that program this summer, we are proud of you. We feel so blessed to have such a wonderful family.

Take care and be careful
Love, Dad and Mom

No comments: